Monday, June 27, 2016

Language Issues

Before coming on this trip I did try to learn some Italian, just so that I wouldn’t be completely lost. When we first got to Milan we were lucky enough to find people that knew English so that helped. I am also bilingual, I know English and Spanish so that helped. Spanish and Italian are both Romance languages so they are very similar which was both good and frustrating. It was nice because I understood most of it but then it was frustrating because I couldn’t respond very well.
But as the trip went along it was very interesting to find Hispanics or Italian people that knew Spanish. We went out to eat and then a young man that was also waiting for his food asked where we were from (in Spanish). I explained we were here on a study abroad from the United States. As the conversation went on he shared with us that he was working in some type of office and had been living here for about three years. He and his family are originally from Honduras which I thought was pretty cool. I never would’ve thought that I would come across a person from Honduras in Italy.

Another embarrassing yet nice experience we had was meeting our night guard. We may have locked ourselves out of our rooms occasionally. That is how I met a very kind lady from Colombia. She and her family moved here two years ago, and she was very kind. She told us about a cool tour bus we could take and so we did and there we also met more Colombians that were very fun and helpful! Obviously not everyone that went on this tour spoke Spanish so it was funny to see them try to speak English and for those in our group to speak Italian. So I thought it was neat how I was able to find people who preferred to speak Spanish over English, because I never thought I would find that around Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment